Monday, 21 January 2008

S Diary (S 다이어리)

During the week I was in Yongsan to find a hard disk case. I was there with a friend and we went to brows in DVD shop. I her to recommend one or two Korean films to me and his film is one of the two recommendations.

The film, as you can see from the title, is called S Diary. I suspect it might mean Secret Diary, but I’m not so sure if it’s that obvious to a Korean reading Hangeul. The other option is Sex Diary. Luckily I like romantic comedies, because this one is definitely for the girls.

The film starts off with some really quirky and creative visuals and then flows in to a story of a girl, Jini, who falls in love with a series of men over a few of years. All three of them tread her really badly in one way or another which lead to the break-ups.

After her hart is yet broken again she wants to know why and asks them. They tell her in ways that hurt her even more. The story then proceeds with her efforts to get back at them.

I am not sure how refreshing this was in Korean Cinema, but it is something different from what I’m used to. There are a few jokes that are only good for drunken University students, but there are a few really odd scenes that make up for the tastelessness.

Not intended to be funny in the way I was it, was her surprise a the C size bra. I think of C as the bigger average, but C is huge on a Korean girl.

The girl herself is nor gorgeous, but very pretty in her own way. What I like about her is that she is not the normal skinny arse Korean girl. There is one shot of her naked back, and it’s so nice not to see ribs. He acting sometimes made me laugh, but like most East Asian films there was the inevitable over acting. The other actors varied in their performances, but nothing was bad enough to put you off the film.

I am already picking up Korean words as I listen and it is interesting to listen to the politeness level they use towards various people. It’s not always what I would expect. The English Subtitles don’t express that and I have no idea that the significance might be. I will have to watch it with a Korean and have them tell me if it means anything.

All in all I found the film very enjoyable and I will definitely watch it again.

Make sure you watch all the way to the end. It is one of the nicest endings I’ve seen in a ling time. Not what you would want before you see it, but you are definitely left satisfied afterwards.

No comments: