Monday, 25 June 2007

Points of the Week

Point One:
Koreans often say "Why?", when they should be saying "What?" like when you look at them they will look back at you and utter this single word "Why?", implying "Why are you looking at me?". normally the questions should be "What is wrong? What are you looking at?"

Point Two:
It has started raining here in Korea. Apparently the buckets will start coming down soon. Monsoon season, you see.

Point Three:
Little white butterflies has suddenly appeared, either chasing each other or just fluttering around the new produce being grown everywhere. Why do they appear now that the rain has started? Don’t they get wet?

Point Four:
I heard a rooster crow this morning. It is the first time in two months that I heard it. Has it been there all along and I just haven’t noticed it?

Point Four:
I was taken shopping by one of my Parent Students. This is good because I can ask questions about what things are and what is eaten when and how. I got a few new things, good and bad. I bought tofu that is supposed to be eaten at breakfast, tofu for soup, eggs boiled in Soya sauce & green tea as well as Cold Noodles. I am waiting for a warm day to eat my Cold Noodles, the eggs are nice and the Breakfast Tofu is too much for me.

Point Five:
I found Yogurt without sugar in it. This is Korea. This is not normal, but I am still rejoicing the find. It is called Denmark Yogurt and it is sour, just like it is supposed to be. If you are here then you will know why this is a good thing to find. Koreans seem to LOVE sugar in everything. Everything! They like it almost as much in their food as chillies.

Point Five:
I bought little dried fishes that you eat as a side dish. They are quite nice. Sunday I found a little squid in there. It is tiny, but it is a perfectly formed squid. Cute and tasty.

Point Six:
I met Aska in town on Sunday and went to wash my hand in the restaurants bathroom where we went for dinner. The soap dispenser attacked me! Squirted me right in the eye with the force of an arrow and it hurt! It hurt a lot. I washed my eye as best I can and let my eye do the rest. I woke up on Monday with all the stuff sitting on my eyelid. Gross


*Please note that the statements in this Blog are not intended to make anyone look bad. I do not look down on Koreans. I'm merely describing how amusing I sometimes find people and I am mostly describing it to other westerners. Feel free to come to South Africa and tell the world how crazy we are because heaven knows, we are.

No comments: