Wednesday, 25 July 2007

A Week to Forget

Apologies for writing this late, but I wasn't even sure if I wanted to write about the week gone by. It was one of those weeks that you just wish will never happen again. Nothing seemed to go right. However, I am not intending to talk about that. I will talk about other things that I have noticed.

Last week there was a national holiday called Constitution Day. Of course, I was only told the day before that I will not have to come to school, but no problem, I had the date in my diary and I knew beforehand that something might happen. What I did find a bit strange was as I was going into town to look for a cell phone I saw one of my school's students and he was wearing a uniform. I am not sure if the school was actually open and I didn't know about it, but I decided not to ask because I might get some strange and disturbing answer.

Let's leave that for a bit and talk about scooters a bit. Scooters are the small motor cycles what is often used for deliveries. They are not so strange in themselves, but the people on them are, needless to say, interesting. Usually, if they are wearing them at all, they don't tie their helmets to their heads. They have these little “cap” helmets that the "cool" bikers wear, so you can imagine what will happen if they crash with that thing not tied properly. It will go flying in whatever direction even before they hit whatever they are destined to hit. I just hope I will not have to be the one to wash all the red of my wall after the crash.

As if it is not bad enough that they wear they helmets in such a fashion, then they have their wives and girlfriends on the backseat, without any helmet! You would think that they will be a little bit gentle-manly and give the helmets that they merely placed on their heads to their ladies, but alas, it seems that is not the way of such things in this country.

To keep up with my "insects of the week" stories, I'll tell you of the Dragonflies. I was walking to school one morning and for no particular reason I looked up and saw about 10 or 15 Dragonflies buzzing about. I've seen them again and again since then and they are still around. It is strange how insects appear and then disappear again. Because it has started raining regularly and sometimes non-stop, now there are tiny frogs popping up everywhere. I suspect it is because now they can hop about and stay wet all the time. I swear, it is starting to feel like Egypt here. It is hot and humid and every week there is a new insect to give you the creeps and make you fear that another plague is coming.

Dezzie gave me one of the best links I have received in a long time. Remember la Linea? Here he is, ladies and gentlemen. Enjoy. http://www.tv5.org/TV5Site/la_linea/index.php?numero=3

Only two other things of note happened this week, or at least two things I would like to talk about, and they are the Spelling Book and the School Play. I ordered a book from Amazon to help me improve my spelling. Everyone who knows me, knows that my spelling is down right dreadful. In retrospect I should have bought the thing from Amazon UK, because it is the American spelling. Not to worry though. There are only a few things that change and they are normally the things I know to look out for when I write. The school play, this is what I was told it was, was actually someone else who came to school and performed for the children. It was all in Korean and I have no idea what they said, but it look suspiciously about the Korean war or something like that. I was too afraid to ask. ;-)

Oh, wait! Something good did happen. I got my new phone that replaced the one I lost. I have no idea how I lost it because I was more careful than normal that day. Anyway. Now I have a phone that is sold on Korea only. Here is the kick. It doesn't slide. Whoop! It doesn't flip. Whoop! And it isn't a Samsung! Praise the cell phone gods! It has everything I want in software AND it was one of the cheapest phones I found when my search begun. Thank you again, June, for helping me with this. After the week I had and the excitement of the new phone, I just slept most of Sunday. I really needed it.

That is it for this edition. Quite a lot considering I had nothing to say.

As always...


*Please note that the statements in this Blog are not intended to make anyone look bad. I do not look down on Koreans. I'm merely describing how amusing I sometimes find people and I am mostly describing it to other westerners. Feel free to come to South Africa and tell the world how crazy we are because heaven knows, we are.

No comments: