Wednesday, 21 May 2008

The Republic of Korea vs The Republic of South Africa

Koreans, and more specifically the Korean media, might seem to hate foreigners, but at least it is not as bad as the current situation in South Africa. There people are being killed, set alight alive, for being foreign. Keep in mind that this is only happening in the townships, but I agree with Zuma that this is shaming the nation as a whole. How Korean are we sounding now? Shaming the nation?

The situation have made it on to the New York Times: Anti-Immigrant Violence in Johannesburg.

Here is a quick article from the Mail and Guardian in South Africa as well: Mob violence sweeps Gauteng.

When I got back and checked the blogs, I noticed a lot of information about the Gwangju Democratization Movement. It is sad, but I am sorry to day that I grew up with thighs like this. I am a bit desensitised to massacres.

Again, two famous examples from my own country. They are not on the same scale, but for reasons that at arguably far less:
The Soweto Uprising and The Sharpville masacre

No comments: