Monday, 07 January 2008

Korean Accent

I was trying to find a recipe for Kimchi Chigae on the internet and thought it might be interesting to see what YouTube will turn up. I found this clip, but thought it might be more interesting as an illustration of the Korean accent.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not dissing Koreans here. I'm just saying sometimes I have no idea what they are trying to say. It's suppose to be an English word, but only they know what it is. At least here they have a legitimate reason to do this. In South Africa we have "English" news readers who say things only they understand.

The lady in this clip has a very clear understandable accent, but you can still pick up small things. People who don't live here will likely pick up much more. I'm so used to it I don't always hear it. Listen for these right at the beginning already...

"I'm going to makE Kimchi Stew. So many people haBE (have) requested..."

No comments: