Thursday, 31 January 2008

Seoul, the World Capital

I was asked by a friend to get more information about cosmetic surgery in Korea. I think it has to do with me being in contact with Koreans who don’t mind talking about such thing on an open manner. While looking for something for her to read I came across this article at Gusts Of Popular Feeling. have a look at the article.

Korea at this point seems to be absolutely obsessed with looks. You have no idea how often I’ve been asked if by Person A if Person B, standing right next to the Person A, is beautiful. It’s as if this somehow makes a difference to weather I would like them. It is also really embarrassing to for me, because lest just say that I don’t agree, should I say yes or no? I am not going to lie about it, so no matter that I think, I just shrug and say, “I’m not answering that”. If they give me a look then I explain that it embarrasses me and is thought to be in considered, maybe even rude, where I come from.

I have no problem agreeing that someone is good looking, but on my own terns, when they are not there and asked about, or when they are there and I volunteer the information. Add to that me seemingly having a very different opinion or what is cute and beautiful most East Asians in any case, and you can see why I normally don’t say anything to people who don’t know me well.

I asked my children to write a report on Harry Potter a while ago. The one girl actually seems to equate how handsome Harry is with the quality of the film, and maybe even the quality of the acting.

I don’t see how these questions or the obsession with plastic surgery will stop as long as Korea is a place where the celebrities, and more specifically, their looks, are the things to be aspired to.

(You would be amazed by the number of stories of talented singers who are not even heard at the auditions because they are not pretty. Conversely, your be amazed by the god awful singing of some of the so called pop stars.)



*Please note that statements in this Blog are not intended to make anyone look bad. I do not look down on Koreans. I'm merely describing how amusing I sometimes find people and I am mostly describing it to other Westerners. Feel free to come to South Africa and tell the world how crazy we are because heaven knows, we are.

No comments: