Saturday, 19 January 2008

The Neighbour’s Money

As I was doing my morning scan of the new sites I came across this article. I now this has nothing to do with Korea, but I suppose for me this is a bit like North Korean gossip is for a South Koreans. “Look at what the fool dictator has done to his county…”

Zimbabwe has released a Ten Million Dollar (Dr Evil voice, in Austin Powers) bank note. Wow, I want one. I wonder of I'll be able to get one from the money changers when I go home.

The most I have ever paid for a meal was something over one million thingemegigies in Indonesia, but I read that a hamburger in Zimbabwe costs n the region of Z$ 15 000 000. If you’re not a millionaire in this country then you are truly poor.

I suppose it was only a matter of time. The inflation in this country is in the order of twenty-five thousand percent, that it 25 000%. We are talking daily price changes at that level people. You know, if I wait till my next contract is up then I can get my Z$10mil for half the price.

At the time of writing…
1 South African Rand = 4,397 Zimbabwe Dollar
1 South-Korean Won = 32.5 Zimbabwe Dollar
1 US Dollar = 30,668 Zimbabwe Dollar
1 British Pound = 60,318 Zimbabwe Dollar
…rounder to the closest 0.5 It won’t matter in one hour.

Here are two quick articles from allafrica.com and voanews.com and the all the dirt at zimbabwesituation.com

No comments: