Thursday, 10 January 2008

Korean Age

A day or so ago one of my co-teachers asked my age, but specifically, my Korean Age (Eastern Age). Without thinking twice I replied "Thirty Two" but after a few seconds and a glance from my other co-teacher I realised that we were in a new year and therefore I had to add one year to my age. For the rest of this coming year I will be Thirty Three years old.

“How can this be?” you might ask in amazement. “Surely that's two years to many.” Fear not for I will explain Eastern Age. When you're born you are One year old. No questions asked. It’s just the way it is. Every New Year’s Day you gain one year. Isn’t that easy?

I was born in July 1976. On the day of my birth I was One year old. On the first of January 1977 I turned Two and in 1978 I turned Three. Thirty years on and I turned, you guessed it, Thirty Three.

Normal birthdays as well as a 100th day for a baby are celebrates as per norm. New Year is just used for the expression of functional age.

There you have it. Not only have I hit the big Three Zero already, but I'm way in there already, according to Eastern count.

This system is completely contrary to Western women’s notion that somehow your age should be as low as possible, even if you have to lie about it. I would like to take this opportunity to state that this habit of many women rate a 9/10 on my stupidity scale. If your old AND beautiful ,then shout it out. If your supposedly younger and don't look it, then you need to worry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I resect your opinon, but I do not agree. I do not see Goldie Hawn or Madonna shouting their ages from the roof tops. I just feel that Why share my age? If I look 25, 28, even 33 does it really matter, what I tell you?

Unknown said...

You misunderstand.

Have you ever heard someone say "It's not polite to ask a women that"? Why not? Is there something wrong with their age?

Have you ever heard of the BIG Three Zero, or the BIG Four Zero?

How about this one: "The first thing the Korean asks me is my age!" Why do you need to be secretive about it? Sure, if you don't want to say, then don't, but I'm talking about Western women in general here who are mortally afraid of adding one year to their age.

Madonna is an exception to the rule, but since we're talking about famous people and their ages, Catherine Zeta Jones. She lied about her age, and not by a small amount.