Monday, 21 April 2008

Simple Plan - Crazy

Tell me what's wrong with society
When everywhere I look, I see
Young girls dying to be on TV
They won't stop till they've reached their dreams

Diet pills, surgery
Photoshopped pictures in magazines
Telling them how they should be
It doesn't make sense to me

Is everybody going crazy?
Is anybody gonna save me?
Can anybody tell me what's going on?
Tell me what's going on?
If you open your eyes
You'll see that something is wrong.

This song was playing during the highlights of a K-League (football) match over the weekend. It is a punk rock song with a nice hard beat and rough lyrics to make for a "man's" song. The producers have, in that Korean way, not listened to the lyrics that might as well be pointing straight to Korean Culture at the moment, with the girls absolutely obsessed with looks and plastic surgery. Here, if I ask my students who their favourite singers are they will rather pick the no talent Wonder Girls because they are cute/pretty than someone who can actually sing, and singers have to go to Japan because they are not good looking enough to "sing". You might say, "just children" but I have heard this from people out of school as well.

Anyway, the song just had nothing to do with the game.

No comments: