Wednesday, 05 March 2008

One Night in Incheon

I had to re-post this as it somehow ended up being a copy of Monday’s post. I could not find the original, so I had to rewrite the whole thing and it ended up being very different.

A Korean friend, Jacky, invited me to his birthday party on twenty-ninth of February. He turned “six” this year. Lucky for everyone involved, he saw the sense in changing it to the first of March, a Saturday.

The day started like any other. We used Koreas great public transport for our two hour journey. Try doing that in South Africa, or many other developed countries. I am sad to report that nothing special happened. There were no great accidents, no slip-sliding on snow and no nice scenery (that I noticed).

Incheon seems to be a nice city. I would not mind living there for a year or so. If you have not noticed yet, then let me point it out to you, there is an “N” in the name. We are not talking about Icheon, the small city where I live. This here is Incheon, the city that is big enough to justify its own metropolitan council, separate form Gyeonggi Provence.

We started our night of celebration in Khan, the “Ancient Pub”. There is one here in Icheon as well. Aska and I are thinking of going there some time. As is normal for any Korean party, soju and Beer was consumed, the former in greater quantities than the latter. Still, there were the obligatory mountains of food and a western style birthday cake. The cake had a number “6” candle, provided by yours truly, as well as thin, free candles that paled in comparison to my immense gift to the Birthday Boy. I am so proud of myself. *cough*

After half the cake ended on Jackie’s face, he proceeded to destroy it further with his cake cutting technique. The Cake Destruction Ceremony signalled the commencement of the true party. In true Korean fashion, everyone had a chance to pour soju for everyone else, and just in case you were not getting enough, then you were sure to get your fill from the drinking games. I know Koreans like to call themselves the Italians of East Asia, because they are emotional, but they are more like the Irish of East Asia, I am sure.

During the course of the night we went to four different places, and at all but one we had food. Let me rephrase that, at each place we had lots of food. How do Koreans eat and drink so much and still stay so skinny. Even the girls were doing their part to rid the world of its excess food and soju.

I mentioned that at one place we did not eat anything. This was the Norae Bang, or Karaoke Room. I am sure they have food there, but we just did not order any. Even thought I still do not sing with other people, I prefer this to the Karaoke we know. Here you are in a private room with your friends and no one else to bother you. Despite this nice setting, I still wonder what Eastern Asia’s fascination with singing is.

Before I sign off on this post, I would like to mention one of the things that always stumps me. Despite what many people think of me, I do not really know how to handle these situations. I do what I feel like at that point and half the time it is not what is expected of me…

During the night I had four girls, count it, one, two, three, four girls, flirt with me. I am not used to this, at all. People have told me that it happens to me, but I think am too stupid to see it. These girls were obvious about it though.

At the first place we went to, two girls asked me to take photographs with them, and as I left, the one used the only English she seemed to know, “I miss you”. Crazy Woman Alert! The two girls were there with men, but I could not figure out the relationship. I indulged them then make like a tree and, um, left? At the second place, a girl wanted me to drink Soju with her. The only way I could “get rid” of her was by doing a love shot. A love-shot is when you drink while twisting you arms, as they often do at marriages in the West.

Then there was the sister of the Birthday Boy. Apparently, she asked about me earlier that evening and all through the night Aska was pointing out that the girl was infatuated with me. Personally, I feel curious would be a better word, but some times I was wondering myself.

Why does this never happen to me in my town. At least here, I have a place where we can go “practice English”. (I have never had a girl alone in my flat, not even a friend, with the exception of my girlfriend, and I intend to keep it that way.)

I cannot finish this post without mentioning Pinky. This dude was dressed in not just a pink shirt, but a pink cap as well. Pinky took every foreigner’s phone number and asked if he may call us to practice his English. I admire his courage and I will gladly help him wherever I can. This is the way you learn English, people.

Overall, it was an enjoyable experience and I learned a bit more about Koreans out for the night.

No comments: